Saturday, December 19, 2009

why?

I've been thinking a lot lately about why we celebrate at this time of year. Why do we make such a big deal out of Christmas? Why is this time seen as so important? I know for many people Christmas is about gifts or time with family or numerous other things. But, what about for disciples of Christ? Why do we celebrate Christmas?

I mean, I've always known that we celebrate the birth of Christ this year and that it was important and life changing event. And I don't think I've come to any real new conclusions in all of this. But, I know that I have been struck anew with the significance of what did happen - of what we are celebrating.

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."
-John 1:14, NIV (emphasis mine)
At Christmas is the time when we just simply stop remember that God came near. He didn't just stay up in heaven at a distance. He came to earth as a man and He changed the course of history. God came near to change the way we could come to Him! Jesus' birth was no little matter! It was the most significant birth in all of history!
God came near! And changed the course of history because of it!
That's why we celebrate Christmas. I think I needed to be reminded of the significance and simplicity of what we celebrate each year. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment