"Finally, bothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." (Philippians 4:8)
Paul is emphasizing the importance of what we fill our minds with. We need to pay attention to what we're thinking about because it is a reflection of what we're filling our minds with.
The standards Paul gives for what we fill our minds with our high. And they are high for a reason.
We don't want to allow anything in that opens a door for Satan to get a foothold in our minds and hearts.
These standards that Paul gives for what we think about are the things that are the guard God's peace put around our minds and hearts.
It is important to evaluate things before we allow them in.
- Is this the truth that I'm allowing in?
- Is this something with quality that I'm allowing in?
- Is this pure according to God's standards?
- Is this lovely according to God's standards?
- Is this something admirable according to God's standards?
- Is this in line with God's standards for excellence?
- Is this praiseworthy according to God's standards?
If the answer to any of these questions is "no" then maybe we need to re-evaluate why we're allowing it into our minds and hearts.