Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Unexpected Blessings

Yesterday was my birthday. And it looked nothing like I had planned it to look, by no choice of my own.

If I'm honest, I was dreading yesterday. Time away, a visit from a friend, a chance to celebrate . . . all of these were taken away from me due to the current situation in our world. And I wasn't feeling much like celebrating.

I wanted to hide from the world. But, at the same time, I'm also tired of hiding away. All I wanted was for things to be normal and to be able to celebrate with my friends.

It would have been easy to stay stuck in the things I was missing that I wanted. In the things I couldn't do that I had been planning. And that would have made for a long and depressing day.

When I arrived at work yesterday morning and said hi to a coworker, I realized that I still had a choice. Instead of staying stuck in what wasn't, I could choose to look for the good. That coworker turned and very cheerfully wished me a happy birthday. Although it couldn't come with the hug it would have in other years, she reminded me that there was still reason to celebrate.

I wasn't expecting blessings in my birthday in the midst of all the current reality. But, as the day went on, I realized that's exactly what God had in mind.

A favourite coffee delivered. Coworkers finding a way to surprise and celebrate together when we have to keep space between us. Lunch brought to me. Supper made. A favourite cake. Cards from those I love. Facebook messages and texts from friends.

Unexpected blessings in a day I could have easily missed it all. A reminder of where I need to focus. I went into the day seeing only what I had lost, what had been taken away from me.

But, I was reminded to look up. To see what God wanted to show me in the middle of challenge. To see the unexpected blessings God provides.

Can I challenge you to look up? Look for the unexpected blessings God wants to bring your way. Open your eyes to see what God has in store in your day.

I don't always do this well. I forgot this same thing today, and I'm sure I missed things because of it. But, as I write this, I'm challenged again to pay attention and see what God is up to in my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment