Friday, December 11, 2020

What Does Science Say?

 So, what does science say?

This isn't often my next question in a series, but as I began to dig into this topic, I realized I couldn't adequately address physical touch without looking at this question. This led to s study I I found fascinating and I could have just kept going with no end in sight.

As I studied, one thing became incredibly clear to me: Physical touch is important for our health - physically and psychologically. The benefits of a hug, a hand on a shoulder, even just being physically close to another person cannot be denied.

All of this, for me, pointed to something: God created us with a need for physical touch, which means it is a good thing. Unfortunately, as sinful human beings, we have also perverted it and used it for harm. But, even this doesn't change the fact that we need it to be healthy.

One of the sites I came across that talked about our need for physical touch was clear on why we need it. There are benefits for our functioning:

"When you feel snowed under or pressured, the body releases the stress hormone cortisol. One of the biggest things touch can do is reduce such stress, allowing the immune system to work the way it should." (https://www.healthline.com/health/touch-starved#benefits-of-touch, accessed Dec 11, 2020)

This wasn't the only benefit given.

"Touch can also calm certain bodily functions, such as your heart rate and blood pressure. It does so by stimulating pressure receptors that transport signals to the vagus nerve. This nerve connects the brain to the rest of the body. It uses the signals to slow the pace the nervous system." (https://www.healthline.com/health/touch-starved#benefits-of-touch, accessed Dec 11, 2020)

Physical touch makes a difference in our bodies functioning. We need it for things to function well.

There was one more thing I came across that intrigued me:

"Plus, it tackles loneliness. Even gentle touch from a stranger has been shown to reduce feelings of social exclusion." (https://www.healthline.com/health/touch-starved#benefits-of-touch, accessed Dec 11, 2020)

As I thought about this more, I realized how true it is. I've experienced it myself and I'm sure many of you have too. When you're at some sort of gathering and someone greets you in a way that includes some form of physical touch (a hug, a handshake, a pat on the back) and you almost instantly feel like a part of the group.

I think that's where I'll end for today. But, my next post will look more specifically at hugging and the benefits of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment