Wednesday, April 19, 2023

When it's Not Bad, But it's Not what You Had Planned

As I approach my 40th birthday, I've been more reflective than usual.

I think many of us feel that way as significant birthdays and other life milestones approach. We look at what is and what isn't in our lives. What we hoped for and what we're still hoping for.

My life today looks nothing like I thought it would at this point. Not what I thought growing up. Not even what I thought ten years ago.

It' would be easy to just focus on what I don't have that I thought I would at this point. That could get depressing pretty quickly, if all I focused on was the dreams that haven't happened yet and may not happen.

While reflecting on what hasn't happened can be a good thing, in moderation, we can't live there. We can't just live looking at what we wish we had. We have to shift our focus.

There are things we have that we wouldn't have if we'd gotten all we had hoped and dreamed for. It's just as important, if not more, to acknowledge those as well. Many of things things may be blessings we didn't even know about before they happened.

The biggest thing I'm reminded of is our need to approach this with gratitude. When we take the time to reflect on things, gratitude is vital. When we approach with gratitude, we're able to see how God was working in all that happened and all that we have. We can even begin to see how God is in the things we hoped and dreamed for that we don't have and may not receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment