Sunday, June 6, 2010

Psalm 139:1-6

For the last couple of weeks, I have been spending some time really reflecting on the first few verses of Psalm 139. There is such incredible truth about God and how He knows and cares about us in just these few verses.

O Lord, you have searched me
     and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise,
     you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
     you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
     you know it completely, O Lord.
You hem me in - behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
Suck knowledge is too wonderful for me,
     too lofty for me to attain.
                                           -Psalm 139:1-5

So much in just a few words. We truly do serve an amazing and loving Father who knows us more intimately and cares about us more deeply than any other person could.

O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. (Ps. 139:1)
God is the One who knows all of us and knows us best. There is nothing about us that He does not know. In fact, God has searched out every corner of us and knows even what is hidden in the deepest darkest corners of us. How amazing and scary all at once! But, the best part is that God can handle knowing all of this about us.

You know when I sit and when I rise . . . (Ps. 139:2)
God knows us so well and cares so much about us that He notices even the mundane things of life - like when we sit down or stand up. There is nothing in our lives that God does not notice and does not see!

. . . you perceive my thoughts from afar. (Ps. 139:2)
God knows all of our thoughts. There is nothing we think that we can hide from Him. He knows it all! This can be a little bit scary, because our thoughts are not always things that are actually pleasing to God - at times they may be sinful and despicable to God. But, it can also bring an odd sort of comfort. There a comfort that comes with being known so well and still being loved. If God is so aware of the things we think each day and still loves us so much, then we must have some incredible worth in His eyes!

You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. (Ps. 139:3)
God does not just look down from heaven to see what we are doing. He does not keep that kind of distance. He comes near enough to be familiar with all we do. This familiarity comes from walking with us through every moment of life. God loves us and cares about us enough to choose to come near and make Himself familiar with all our ways. What a blessing to know that God is close and cares so much!

Before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely, O Lord. (Ps. 139:4)
God knows what we are going to say before we say it. That can be a bit of a sobering thought when we stop and reflect on some of what comes out of our mouths. Sometimes I wonder if what we say would change if we remembered in the moment that God knows what we are going to say before we say it. Would we be more careful about what we say is we were more conscious of that?

You hem me in - behind and before . . . (Ps. 139:5)
God has completely surrounded us and protects us. With Him going ahead of us and following behind us, we never have to worry about being vulnerable to an attack. He completely wraps us in His safe and loving arms. In all situations we find ourselves in we can rest secure that our Father, God, is there to protect us - to hold us in His loving arms and be our source of strength, comfort, and security. We never have to doubt that He is there! We can count always count on Him!

. . . you have laid your hand upon me. (Ps. 130:5)
God has put His hand on our lives. He has gifted us and has a pathway He wants to guide us on. With His hand on us we do not have to fear anything He asks or question whether we can actually do it. His hand on us, gives us what we need to do whatever He asks.

No comments:

Post a Comment