Friday, June 11, 2010

Psalm 139:13-18

For you created my inmost being;
     you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
     your works are wonderful,
     I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
     when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
     your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
     were written in your book
     before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
     How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
     they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
     I am still with you.
                                             -Psalm 139:13-18

The longer I spend in this psalm, the more I am completely overwhelmed by the love of God for us! I mean, God does not just love us like we sometimes say we love somebody. He loves us, in a way that no human can ever truly compare. His love is unconditional. His love pays attention to details we would often ignore or forget. His love planned good things for us in advance of our living them. His love will always be there.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. (Ps. 193:13)
God is the One Who created us. He saw us and knew us before we were even born. God carefully knit together every little detail about who we are. There is nothing about us that is a surprise to Him.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Ps. 139:14)
God deserves our praise for how intricately He has made us. He has given us incredible worth and value because He took such time to lovingly put us together exactly the way He wanted us to be.
But, how often do we actually believe this? How often do we praise God because of how wonderfully He made us? My guess would be that this is a hard one for many people to believe, I know it is for me. I have days when I really do not feel like God's wonderful creation. But, I am learning that this is not dependent on how I feel - whether we feel like it or not, we have been wonderfully and fearfully made by a loving God. Sometimes we have to choose to believe the truth, even when we do not feel the truth.

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. (Ps. 139:15-16)
We have never been out of God's sight! He is the One who wove every part of us together in secret. God knows us more intimately than any person on this earth ever has or ever will. The best part of it, is that God can handle knowing us that well - knowing all the good and all the bad about us will not be a problem for God.

All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. (Ps. 139:16)
God had all of our days in place before we existed. Nothing that happens to us is a surprise to Him! He has a plan for our lives - a way that He desires to use us for His glory and His kingdom purposes.

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. (Ps. 139:17-18)
There is no way we could ever truly grasp God's thoughts towards us. We can never count them. We can never see how great they are. His thoughts toward us are always for our good.

When I awake, I am still with you. (Ps. 139:18)
What reassurance these 8 words contain. Every moment we are with God - whether we are sleeping or are awake. How amazing is that! Every time we consciously think the thought, we are still with God. And in those moments when we are not conscious of it, we are still with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment