Tuesday, July 12, 2011

calling evil good

Woe to those who call evil good
and good evil,
who put darkness for light
and light for darkness,
who put bitter for sweet
and sweet for bitter.
Isaiah 5:20

When I read that verse earlier today, it seemed to jump off the page at me. I immediately found myself thinking about how our culture tries to do exactly this thing. Things that are evil or dark are called good and light all the time.

But it does not seem to stop with just our culture, it comes into our lives - even as followers of Christ. We try to justify the things we do or say by telling ourselves it is not so bad - even though we know that it is wrong, and ultimately evil. But we want to keep doing it so we do our best to justify it to ourselves and to those around us.

As I reflect on my own life I see those things. I have had a couple of questions in my head since I read this verse that have challenged me and I hope they challenge you too.

How are you doing at living according to God's standards?
Are there areas of your life where you are trying to call evil good? Or call darkness light?

No comments:

Post a Comment