Sunday, November 4, 2012

be still

Grabbing a life jacket and a paddle, I headed towards the row of canoes on the beach. The sun was just beginning to peak over the mountains. Mist was rising of the lake.

I put a canoe in the water and climbed in. Cold water splashed as the canoe rocked while I pushed off. Then the canoe steadied and I began to paddle.

Gentle waves rocked the canoe as I paddled to my favourite spot on the lake. Reaching the middle of the lake, I stopped and just sat in the canoe taking in the view around me.

The sun was slowly climbing higher. It's rays beginning to feel warm on my face and arms. The silence is broken by the call of a loon somewhere on the lake. I see a few fish jumping just beyond the canoe.

Something is special about this moment. This time spent enjoying God's creation. What a beautiful world He created.

Then I hear it. It almost feels audible. God speaking to my heart.

"Be still and now that I am God."

I'm really not sure what exactly this means. I know the verse. But I wasn't expecting to hear from God right now.

"Be still. Stop doing. Listen. Look. Experience. Be still."

A few more minutes taking it all in and it's time to head back to shore. Breakfast is starting soon and I don't want to miss it.

As I turn the canoe around, something clicks. Getting out in the canoe and taking it back to shore are both things that are work. But once I'm out on the lake and I just stop and sit, I being still. I'[m enjoying God's creation around me.

I need to do this more often. Stop. Be still. Sometimes it feels like I'm always running to the next thing. Life offers little time to be still if I don't make it happen.

It might take work to get there. To get to where we can be still. Work to look after life responsibilities so we can get to that place. But it is work we must do. Those moments to be still and know that He is God are needed.

I feel the bottom of the canoe hit the sandy beach. Climbing out, I drag it back up on the beach. The sun is shining brightly now. The mist is no longer rising from the lake. Looking behind me, I see the water is as smooth as glass. Nothing breaking the perfection of the surface.

"Thank You, God. I needed the reminder today."

Being still is counter-cultural. Being still is more difficult than we think. Being still is vital. We cannot really live without learning this.

Being still refreshes us. Being still renews us. Being still can change us more than one more good church thing will.

In the midst of busy lives we must find time to be still. Times to enjoy all that God has created. Times to let God speak. Times to listen for His still, small voice.

"Be still and know that I am God."

No comments:

Post a Comment