Thursday, October 31, 2013

Praise God Always

A couple of days ago, I wrote a bit about how Psalm 34 has been a psalm that I've been drawn to lately. There's much in the psalm that I decided I would take a few posts to focus on smaller segments of it.


I will extol the LORD at all times;
     His praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the LORD;
     let the afflicted here and rejoice.
Glorify the LORD with me;
     let us exalt His name together.
                                    Psalm 34:1-3


David began his cry to God with praise. Even when things in life were not going well, he began with praising God. That was where David turned in every situation - to God and to praise.


"I will extol the LORD at all times . . ."

Extol isn't a word we commonly use today, so I looked it up. It means "to praise highly; laud; eulogize." David was declaring that he would lift the name of God highly.

David also declared the he would lift God's name all the time. It wasn't a one time thing for him. It was something he would do all the time - whatever else he was doing.


". . . His praise will always be on my lips . . ."

David felt that lifting God's name high in every situation was important enough that he needed to repeat himself. Here he declares that words to lift God's name high will always be coming out of his mouth - whatever situation he may be in.


". . . I will glory in the LORD . . ."

When David speaks of glory here, he is talking about giving God honour and admiration. It is "adoring praise or worshipful thanksgiving." And all of this would come about because of Who God is.


". . . let the afflicted here and rejoice . . ."

David knew that praise of God was the way out of any tough situation that we are facing. He wanted those who were in distress to hear the praise of God and be turned from their troubles to God.


". . . Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt His name together."

David called all those who would be listening to join him in praising God in all circumstances. He called on people to praise God together with other people. It wasn't just something he was going to do. He knew the importance for all of us to do this and invited us to join him.

No comments:

Post a Comment