Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Body of Christ in Action

On Sunday morning as I stood in the church foyer and watched what was going on in the parking lot, I was struck by the beautiful picture of the body of Christ on earth in action that I was seeing. After rain and freezing temperatures, the parking lot was icy. I had carefully and slowly made my way from my car to the church doors just a few minutes earlier.

As I looked out, I watched people from my church stay out in the parking lot to help other people arriving get safely to the church doors. It would have been easy for them to just stay inside once they arrived, but they decided to help others.

It really was a beautiful picture to watch. The body of Christ caring for each other in practical ways. The body of Christ operating the way we should.

At least, I would say that's how we should be acting towards one another. Caring about each other enough to help in simple, practical ways when it would be easy not to. It really doesn't take a lot to do things like this.

Scripture tells us that the world around us should know we're Christians by how we love one another (see 1 John 4:21 and John 13:34-35). This should be evident in little, everyday ways. Things like making sure other people make it safely across an icy parking lot.

Everyday, we're faced with simple, practical ways we cans hare Christ's love for us and for others, but we pass more of them by than we take. Telling ourselves it will be too much of an inconvenience to do so. Maybe we need to start taking advantage of more of them.

Will you join me in looking for one thing you can do each day to show Christ's love in a practical way? And then actually do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment