Thursday, March 13, 2014

Two Simple Words that Changed Lives

"Follow me."

Two simple words are how Scripture tells us Jesus called those who would become Him disciples. And it seems as if those two simple words were enough.

In Matthew 4, we read where Jesus called Simon and Andrew, along with James and John. "At once they left their nets and followed Him." (Matthew 4:20) - that was the response of Simon and Andrew. James and John had the same response. Matthew 4:22 says, "immediately they left the boat and their father and followed Him." Later, in Matthew 9, we see Jesus calling Matthew to follow Him, and that he "got up and followed Him." (Matthew 9:9).

These men, who would become Jesus' disciples, didn't finish what they were doing first or wait for a more convenient time. When Jesus called them to follow Him, they for up right away and followed Him. They left behind what they had been doing to follow Him. And they continued to follow Him, even when the teaching was hard and the lifestyle took its toll.

As I reflected on the immediacy of the obedience of these men, I'm challenged in my own life. What is my usual response when Jesus calls me to follow Him somewhere? Do I get up and follow right away? Or do I look for excuses to put it off or not do it at all?

I want to be someone who follows Jesus right away when He wants me to go somewhere, but the truth is often I hesitate - especially if it doesn't look like the easy way. But, I've also discovered that the more I get up and follow in obedience right away, the easier it becomes next time.

How do you usually respond when Jesus calls you to follow Him somewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment