Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Continuing to Learn what Freedom Really Means

It seems that freedom has been a recurring theme in some old poetry I've been coming across recently.

A few weeks ago, I was going through some boxes I had picked up from my parents' house. I had stored them there for a while, but they needed the space now, so I was bringing them to my house to keep them here.

In one of those boxes, I cam across a folder of poetry I had written when I was in high school and my first couple years of college. Who knew that at the time I dreaded every English class I had to take - and poetry the most of all - I was writing my own.

Some of that poetry will never be seen by anyone and a little bit of it may be shared with others. This poem is one I will share.

As I read this poem, I was struck by what I wrote about. Thinking back to the time in my life when I wrote this, I had only just begun to understand what freedom in Jesus Christ really is. I'm sure I still don't understand it completely, but it's something I'm learning more and more about each day.


Breaking down the walls
Busting out of the box
I’m tired of the walls
I’m tired of the box
I want to be free

Opening my eyes to the sunlight
Seeing Your amazing creation
Feeling the sweet cool breeze
Dancing and leaping in the field
I am freed from all that bound me

You broke for the walls
You tore up the box
You freed me to see Your creation
You released me to live

I am free through Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment