Tuesday, June 5, 2018

What the Church Does Well

As I've looked over my last few posts, I've realized that I've spent a lot of time talking about where we have issues and challenges we need to address in the church. These are things I'm passionate about and it's easy to write about them. But, I'm also passionate about what the church does well and I want to point out the good I see as well.

I think it's especially important that what is done well is acknowledged, especially when it comes to how the church works with singles who are a part of their community. When things are challenging, we can miss the good because we're so focused on the other.

My perspective on this one may be more limited than on some other things. I write based on my own experiences, and in this case I've only ever been a part of two churches in my life. And one of those churches was while I was away at Bible college. Outside of my experience, it's based on what I've gleaned from conversations with singles at other churches.

Probably the thing I appreciate most is that everything is not segregated along the lines of married and single. Of course there are things that happen that are specific to marriages. But, everything else is open to everyone and all are welcome regardless of their marital status. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but I do know that it could often be easier to draw those lines and remove some challenges.

I also appreciate the people in the church who seek to understand and to make everyone feel welcome. I've had enough experiences of feeling like the odd one out, that I truely appreciate those who make everyone feel welcome. At so many events at the church, it can feel awkward to take a seat at a table as a single person because that means unless another person who has come alone (whether single or married) sits at that same table, you've given the table an odd number of people. I appreciate the people who invite me to join their table at something and don't make a big deal out of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment