Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Why Loneliness is Different for Singles: Part 2

What makes singleness different for singles?

In my last post, I started talking about how loneliness is different for singles. As I was writing, I realized that it was too much for one post. And I was concerned this next point would get missed or buried in the length. In my mind, this is the most important reason why loneliness is different for singles.

(You can read Part 1 here if you missed it.)

The most important reason why loneliness is different for singles has nothing to do with having friends.

It has everything to do with what you do with those friends.

". . . having people to do nothing with is quite important to singles." (Sam Allberry, 7 Myths about Singleness)
When I read that the first time, my response was: Yes! Someone finally put it into words that might make sense to others.

This is a big deal.

Allberry goes on to say:
"There are times when I feel emotionally tired but really want company, so it's great to have friends you see often enough that you don't need to spend your time together catching up. If one problem is friends you barely get to catch up with, another is friends you only catch up with. It's easy for married friends to forget this, because they already have people to do nothing with, and having people to with whom to do nothing is not necessarily a need they're conscious of."
I don't want everything I with people to be about what we do or about catching up. It's good when we don't always have to do that.

The most life-giving memory I have of this is when some married friends invited me to go camping with them for a week with their family. Yes, we did lots of things - hiking, games, cooking, and much more. But, we also did a lot of "doing nothing together." We sat in chairs next to each other and read. We sat around the fire in the evening with no expectation of catching up on what was going on in our lives. We sat at the same table, drinking coffee and reading our Bibles in the morning.

I didn't know how much I needed things like that until I experienced a week of it. I couldn't put it into words that I could explain to someone else until now. The idea of "doing nothing together" almost seems like a foreign concept in our culture. But, it's incredibly important that we pay attention to this - especially when there are single adults in your circle.

Often, I don't need an invitation to do something. I just need to be able to be with people without expectations. I know that being alone at that time isn't a good thing, but I'm not up to doing a lot. I really just need to now I'm not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment