Tuesday, March 16, 2010

dreams

What would you do for the rest of your life if money was no object?

That's a question I have been asked a few times in my life, mostly in "get-to-know-you" type situations with a group of people. It's a bit of an overwhelming question and more difficult to answer than it seem at first glance. Or to take the question in a bit of a different direction and, at least in some way, make it more difficult to answer:

How would you serve God for the rest of your life if you didn't have to work and you didn't have to worry about money?

I can't remember where I was first asked that one, but it was definitely more difficult than the first one for me to answer. In fact, I'm not even sure what my answer was or if I answered it.

I've been thinking about these two questions recently. Really, what they are is invitations to dream - to think big about what you would want to do with life. And to think big about how you would most love to serve God. And, I think that's a good thing. Much of mission work, both overseas and in our own backyards, in the church today came because people were willing to dream and think big about how they could serve God.

I've been wondering lately if sometimes we - the church in North America - have become so comfortable in our lives that we don't dream God-sized dreams anymore. And those that do dream those dreams are looked on as strange or out of touch. But, I also wonder if dreaming God-sized dreams again is what would shake us out of our complacency and get us back out in the world making a difference.

So, what about you: How would you serve God for the rest of your life if you didn't have to work and you didn't have to worry about money?

Now, think about how you could begin to do even a small part of that now - in your current life situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment