Friday, March 19, 2010

a verse we usually reserve just for Christmas

The other day I was reading the prophet Isaiah. Rather than reading it out of the familiar NIV, I was reading it in the Message paraphrase. One of the verses just jumped off the page at me and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. Isaiah 9:6 is a verse that we often hear only at Christmas.
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (NIV)

This verse is familiar enough that I hardly think twice about it when I read it in the NIV, but when I read it in The Message something stayed with me.
"For a child has been born—for us! The gift of a son—for us! He'll take over the running of the world. His names will be: Amazing Counselor, Strong God, Eternal Father, Prince of Wholeness."

It was the names that Jesus will be called that have stuck with me since I read it. They just seemed to really make me think again about Who Jesus is . . . Amazing Counselor, Strong God, Eternal Father, Prince of Wholeness. I have definitely been reminded of Who my Jesus is and why He alone is worthy of my worship and praise.

Amazing Counselor . . . There is no counsel that we could receive from a friend, a family member, or a professional counselor that compares to Jesus words in our lives. He gives the greatest insight and wisdom into decisions I'm making and into how to deal with things that have happened in my life. We could ask for ne better Counselor.

Strong God . . . nothing is stronger than God! Nothing is impossible for Him! Nothing is too big for Him! My God is stronger than it all.

Eternal Father . . . No matter the situation we never face it alone. Our Father is there with us protecting us, comforting us, encouraging us, strengthening us. No matter what, I never have to doubt that I am alone or that God has left me. He is eternally there!

Prince of Wholeness . . . Jesus came to make us whole. He wants to take the broken pieces that we are and put them together into wholeness. We are His masterpiece that He desires to bring wholeness to! I can trust Him with my broken pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment