Sunday, February 16, 2014

Prayer Changes Us

Prayer . . .

For all our talk about it in Christian circles and all that has been written about it, I sometimes wonder if we get it yet. Or if there will always be something about it we don't fully understand.

Why Do We Pray?

What is the purpose of prayer?

I think we all have our own answers to those questions. The ones from what we've been taught about prayer. The ones from our own experiences with prayer.

And they're probably some pretty good answers too. But are they the complete answer to what prayer is and why we pray? Probably not.

I came across a quote by C.S. Lewis that I felt answered these questions clearly and succinctly.

"I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of meal the time - waking or sleeping. It does not change God - it changes me."

We pray because we can't help it. We pray because we need God's help. But most of all we pray because it changes us, not God.

When we take the time to bring our requests to God and listen to what He has to say to us, the more things in our lives begin to line up with God's plan.

Ultimately, prayer changes us. It brings our will in line with God's will. The final three words of C.S. Lewis' quote sum it up pretty well: "it changes me." Whatever the situation, when we cry out to God, He will be there. He will meet the need we have. And often, He will change us through those prayers so that what we are asking for is what His will is already.

Why Do You Pray?

What are the reasons you personally pray?

What has been your experience with prayer in your own life?

Have you allowed God to change you through your prayers?


"I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of meal the time - waking or sleeping. It does not change God - it changes me." (C.S. Lewis)

No comments:

Post a Comment