Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Joy of Being Honest About our Brokenness

Are you honest about the brokenness in your life? Do you have a place where you can be honest about your brokenness? Do you think that there is a joy that can come from being honest about your brokenness?

It seems that this week is a week of returning to posts I wrote near the beginning of this blog. I was reading through some of my older posts and was struck by one that I wrote on February 28, 2009. I was asking questions about whether we could be honest about our brokenness in our churches.

Do you think you could walk into your church, get up on stage, and tell everyone about your brokenness? Is this acceptable in our churches? Outside of baptism and testimony times, do we allow ourselves to be this honest with one another? Have we made it taboo to admit our brokenness in the church? Have we become masters at image management in the church?

I've been reflecting on those questions. And, on what my experience has been with my church recently regarding being honest about our brokenness.

My answers to those questions are very different know than they were in 2009. I know I have a ways to go in this area. It's not always easy to be honest about my own brokenness. But it is a journey that looks different for me than it did before.

Almost 15 months ago, I was walking into a weekend retreat called Encounter God. I wasn't sure what to expect. But, I found it to be a valuable weekend in this journey in my life. We got honest about our brokenness that weekend. And it started a journey that has continued.

It is only when we get honest about our brokenness that God can come in and heal that brokenness. We have to drop our image management and be willing to admit that we don't have it all together. If we never reach that point, we will never be able to allow God in to heal us.

The way I ended the post that prompted these thoughts, still resonates with me today. As I reflect on these words, I see that God is working on making the church I get to call my place to belong exactly what this is. We're still on the journey of learning to be honest about our brokenness and it is a beautiful one.

The church should be a place that welcomes broken people with open arms. That allows people to be broken in their midst. And that points broken people to the truth and healing found only in Jesus Christ and our surrender to Him.

The church should be a place that welcomes broken people with open arms. That allows people to be broken in their midst. And that points broken people to the truth and healing found only in Jesus Christ and our surrender to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment