Thursday, June 26, 2014

Understanding Who God Is

Lord is it possible to get this far
And just now understand Who You are?
I'm feeling foolish yet relived as well
Cuz what I bought before I just can't sell
("Wishful Thinking" by Mercy Me)

The first time I heard the song that those words begin, they stuck.

They resonated with me. Because they are words I could share of my journey in the last year and a half. I've been a Christian since I was a kid, but recently I have discovered so much more of Who God is.

It seems that it is easy in our humanness to get things about God confused. In our efforts to explain and understand things, we make God out to be someone He is not.

We don't always do it intentionally. Often, it happens without us trying to do so.

And then we're left with mixed up and confused ideas and pictures of Who God is.

So, what do we do? How do we better understand Who God is?

I've discovered the answer is incredibly simple and incredibly challenging all at the same time.

We simply come to God and admit we don't understand. We ask Him to teach us Who He really is. And we seek to get to know Him better.

But that is challenging as well, because we have to admit we don't know it all. And that goes against everything we naturally do and our culture tells us we should do.

We can't get to know God better, unless we're willing to come to Him and admit we need His help to know Him better.



No comments:

Post a Comment