Wednesday, February 12, 2020

I Don't Want to be Pitied

As I write this, it's less than a week until a day on the calendar that brings mixed feelings. By the time I share this post with those of you reading it, it will be only a few days away.

February 14. Valentine's Day.

Sometimes it feels like just another day. No different than any other day. It doesn't seem like there's anything special. I don't even notice the day.

Other times, it's the day I most want to avoid on the calendar. It seems like it's little more than a day to point out that I'm single - that on the day where couples and love are celebrated, I have neither.

But my mixed feelings about it, don't really matter. It happens anyways. And for this week, I'll see red and pink and hearts and flowers everywhere.

Over the years Valentine's Day has caused some interesting interactions with cashiers, servers, acquaintances - especially when they find out I'm single.

There's one part of those interactions that has always bothered me and left me wondering why. It seems like more often than not, one of the first reactions has been pity. Pity that I'm single on this day. Pity that I don't fall into the expected of that day, by having someone to spend it with.

Things happen like they did a few years ago. It was a year where I completely forgot about Valentine's Day. All I knew was that I didn't want to cook that night, so I headed to a favourite restaurant . . . alone. It took only a few minutes after walking in to realize what day it was, but by then it was too late and I was seated at a table. I was probably the only person in that section of the restaurant by myself. While you could say I had really good service that night, what it kind of felt like was pity. Like the server I had felt sorry for me that I was alone that night.

Here's the thing, I don't want to be pitied for being single on Valentine's Day. If I was honest, I'd rather be with someone - not just on that day but everyday. But, just because I'm single, doesn't mean I need pity.

I'm choosing to live my life the fullest I can with the circumstances I currently have. Whatever the reality is each day, I will live the life God gives me to live. And, rather than your pity, what I'd prefer is friendship - real relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment