Sunday, December 25, 2022

Light... Christmas Thoughts

Why do we decorate with lights at Christmas?

I've been thinking a lot about light this Christmas. It's one of the things we see everywhere in our Christmas decorations. We hang lights on trees, on our houses, on our cars, . . . sometimes on ourselves.

It looks beautiful. The other ornaments on the tree often shimmer with the reflection of the light.

But, why are lights to ubiquitous this time of year? Why do we put them everywhere?

I think we can often miss the significance of them. The reason why we put them everywhere. I know I do.

This morning, as I sat having a quiet time by the light of my Christmas tree, I was captured by a few verses I read. I was going back through all the passages I've read in lead up to Christmas, and I noticed a few verses that talked specifically about light in relation to Jesus' coming to earth.

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in a land of deeper darkness a light has dawned." (Isaiah 9:2).

"I Him was life, and that life was the light of the world. The light shines in the darkness and darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:4-5).

"The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world." (John 1:9).

We celebrate with light because we're celebrating the Light coming into the world.

Jesus came as the light of the world. That's what we celebrate this year.

Light coming into the darkness.

Light overcoming the darkness.

I needed this reminder this morning. 

As I being to look back over 2022, it feels pretty dark, and this Christmas doesn't appear to be happening anything like usual, or like I hoped it would. I didn't think 2022 could be darker than 2021; I came into 2022 with hope of the light and joy. But that's not the reality. There was plenty of good times in 2022, but it was also a hard year for my family . . . again. 

So, I need the reminder of light coming into the darkness. Of light overcoming the darkness.

I don't know what this year, this month, this week, or this day have brought you, but I wonder if we all need the reminder of the Light coming into our darkness this Christmas.

The events of our world this last year feel pretty dark and it can be easy to lose sight of hope, of light.

The events of your personal world may feel pretty dark right now.

But, Jesus has come. He is the Light coming into our darkness. He is God with Use! Immanuel!

As I close, I leave you with one of my favourite Christmas carols. A reminder of the hope and light in the midst of chaos, brokenness, and pain of our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment