Monday, September 6, 2010

i'll be there

I was listening to a CD today that I haven't listened to in a while. The lyrics of one of the songs really got me started thinking. The song is called "I'll be There" by Faber Drive. (They're not a "Christian band" but there was definitely some good stuff in this song.)

Here's the lyrics for you to read and think about. (I tried to post the song but I could find a small enough screen of it that it fit on the blog well. You can find it on youtube if you want to listen to it.)
If you're lost
And you need to find
Some escape
Or some peace of mind
Call my name
When you need a friend
And I'll be there, I'll be there

If your dreams
Are drenched in sweat
You can't sleep
There's too much in your head
Cally my name
When you need a friend
And I'll be there, I'll be there

When you can't carry on
When the roads way too long
Know that you're not alone
I can carry you home
If you hold on tonight
I'll be there

If you give
'Till you've got nothing left
Wanted more
But you end up with less
All your friends
Have turned away
But I'll be there, I'll be there

 When you can't  carry on
When the roads way too long
Know that you're not alone
I can carry you home
If you hold on tonight
I'll be there

The weight of the world is too much to take
Pulling you down like a tidal wave
I can hold you, I will hold you
Here and now
When the world seems wrong
When you've come undone
Know you're not alone
I'll be there for you

When you can't carry on
When the roads way too long
Know that you're not alone
I can carry you home
If you hold on tonight
I'll be there

When I first listened to this song I started thinking about the importance of having people in your life who you can call on when you need a friend - when things in your world do not seem right and you are not sure you can make it. Most of us have probably been there at one point or another in our lives and we have been incredibly grateful for those people in our lives who were there for us. We need those kind of friends. We need to be that kind of friend.

We were not made to go through this life alone. If you have ever tried for any length of time to just do it all on your own, this has become abundantly clear to you. Eventually trying to do it all alone becomes overwhelming and we ready to just give up. These are the times when we need to have friends that we can call on who will walk with us, encourage us, challenge us. The life of a follower of Jesus Christ was meant to be lived with others.

Let me ask you a few questions here that I was asking myself for reflection:
Do you have friends who would come when you needed them no matter what they were doing at the time?
Who are the friends you could call on when you were in need?
Are you the kind of friend that others could call on when they were in need?
Are there any changes that need to be made for you to have this kind of friend in your life? To be this kind of friend to others?

As I listened to the song a second time I started to think about all the times that other people have not been able to be there for me. I came to the conclusion that, while we need friends, the only One we can ultimately rely on to be there completely for us (the way this song describes) is Jesus Christ. He will never fail to show up. He will never leave us when we are still in need. With Jesus we will never fail to make it through any situation. I know this to be true from my own life.

The question is: Am I willing to say that I am okay with God being the only One with me always as I go through life? I know if I am honest, that is what I wish I could say, but I know I cannot say that all the time. That is an area where I am still growing and learning. It seems difficult because I cannot see Him when He is with me and sometimes I just want to see, hear, know there is another person right next to me. But, I think as we continue to grow in our relationship with God, we become more and more comfortable with the idea of Him being the only One we can rely on.

No comments:

Post a Comment