Sunday, June 17, 2012

head knowledge becoming heart knowledge

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joint and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."  Hebrews 4:12-13 (NIV)

When I read those verses yesterday, it was one those moments when something I've read hundreds of times over my years as a follower of Christ becomes something that really gets to you and becomes a part of you. Head knowledge becoming heart knowledge. An encounter with the Word of God that changes you.

"The word of God is alive and active..."
It's not something dead that I read just because I have to. The Word of God is full of life - true life - and that's a life that is like nothing our greatest dreams can imagine. God's Word is active - it's not just a head knowledge thing. Because it's active we have to do something about living it out. I needed to be reminded of this.

"...sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joint and marrow..."
God's Word really gets at what we need. Through it God gets to the point and challenges us to live our lives in a way that models Him. As it penetrates to the very core of who we are, we are transformed more and more into the image of God.

"...it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart..."
Hmm, if I'm honest, sometimes the thoughts and attitudes of my heart aren't really God honouring. But sometimes I need for Scripture to reveal that, so that those thoughts and attitudes can be changed to be pleasing to God. That's something that God often does through His Word.

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from his sight..."
God sees everything that happens. He doesn't just hear about it from one the angels in heaven - He sees it. He is watching over His creation because He loves His creation.

"...everything is laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account"
My entire life is before God. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Yet, He loves me and offers me forgiveness anyway. He knows it all. He sees it all. He will call me to account for it. And His forgiveness when I repent is always available and never withheld.

When I read these verses earlier it wasn't necessarily a profound revelation of something in them, but a moment where they went deeper than they usually do - head knowledge becomes heart knowledge. That's what is meant to happen with the Word of God.

What about you? When was the last time something is Scripture became clearer for you? What really sunk in for you at that time?

No comments:

Post a Comment