Monday, June 18, 2012

when we're tempted

I've been reading in the book of Hebrews lately and as I was struck by a couple of passages that were a good reminder to me.

"Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted." Hebrews 2:18 (NIV)

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet he did not sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:15-16 (NIV)

I know for myself oftentimes when I'm tempted to do something I know is sin, I feel like I'm alone in it. Yet, these verses remind us that it's not true. Jesus faced temptation when He walked on the earth and He didn't sin. In those times when we're facing temptation we can go to Him for help and He will help us. We're not alone in those times.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I need that reminder - that encouragement - that I'm not alone in facing temptation. Elsewhere in Scripture, we're reminded that no temptation is too much and one that we cannot escape from:

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will provide a way out so that you can endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment