Tuesday, June 26, 2012

what goes in

"Everything that we allow into our minds, hearts, and lives - everything that we spend our time and money on - has an impact on how we grow or don't grow spiritually." (Craig Groeschel, Soul Detox, pg. 16)

It never seems to really be very long between times when I'm reminded of exactly what the quote above says. Those words really are a common refrain in many Christian circles. And because of that, I've become really good at tuning them out. Never mind that Scripture tells us many times that we do need to be careful what we fill ourselves with because it will come out in how we live our lives. What we fill ourselves with has an impact on our spiritual lives.

I'm not someone who will tell you that this means certain types of music, TV, movies, books, etc. are off limits as Christians. That's a line that isn't specifically drawn in Scripture and it can be different for different people. But, even though I've often tuned out this warning, when I stop to think about it, I realize that there are questions I ask myself when making choices about things. That, I think, is what's important when it comes to what we allow into ourselves.

Does it glorify things that are obviously sinful?
Does it will my mind with things that I shouldn't be thinking about?
If someone who cares about me was sitting next to me, would I make this choice?

Those are just questions I ask myself. And some of my choices based on my answers to those questions are different than what others would have. And I'm OK with that. I'm not going to judge others for their choices and I would hope that they wouldn't judge me.

Reading the quote above got me thinking about this. Especially when I begin to think about the impact it may have on my spiritual growth. It is important that we ;re conscious of what we allow into our minds, hearts and lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment