Thursday, February 14, 2013

Everything We Need

"His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness."
2 Peter 1:3
 
 
When I read this verse, my first thought is usually "everything I need!?!?!" If I've been given everything I need to live a godly life, then why do I still struggle to live a godly life? Why do I do the same thing I know I shouldn't over and over? Why do I have a hard time doing the things I know I should do? It doesn't seem to make sense.
 
As I read this verse a couple of day ago, I realized something I hadn't before. God has given me everything, but that doesn't mean I'm choosing to accept all that has been given to me. If I don't accept the gift and actually make it a part of my life, it doesn't do me any good.
 
The gift God has given me to live a godly life is a knowledge of Him. And that isn't a one time gift either. It's ongoing as we spend time with Him and get to know Him better over a lifetime.
 
So, it's true. God has given us everything we need to live a godly life. But it's our choice what we do with what we have been given.
 
We can choose to open the gift and learn how to live a godly life.
 
Or we can put the gift on the shelf and go on the way we've always lived. All the while getting frustrated that this verse and others like it don't seem to be true.
 
Accepting the entire gift that God has given us to live a godly life doesn't mean we'll do it perfectly right away. We'll still make mistakes. But, we'll never live a godly life if we don't take the time to grow in our knowledge of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment