Saturday, February 23, 2013

No Excuses for not Knowing

If you're a friend on Facebook, you would notice that I have my "causes" I support and I share things from them regularly. In the last week, that has meant many mentions of an event coming up this evening. I've always been hesitant to post too much about anything because I don't want to frustrate people.

But, when I think about it, I realize that the only way people know what's going on outside of their little world, is if other people let them know. It doesn't mean I'll share everything, but it does mean I will share what I see as worthwhile to share.

It's so easy to get stuck in our own world and never go beyond it. But the truth is, there's an entire world out there that we can't ignore. Living in ignorance in the ultra-connected world we now have isn't acceptable.

Once we know, it becomes our choice how we respond. Each of us is supposed to help with different things. We may feel like one area is where we are supposed to be involved, while another area is not the place we are to be involved. But, even if we're not involved in one area, it doesn't become an excuse for us to not know anything about it.

So, I find myself wondering, what are you involved with that you need to be sharing with the world around you? What do you believe in that needs to be shared with the world around you?

And how do you share it without pushing people away?

For me, I think it comes down to those things being a part of who you are. My friends know where I work and they know why I work there. So, when I share things about the place where I work and the "cause" we are part of, they know it's coming from who I am. I'm not just telling them they should do something. I'm doing something and then telling them about it. Because I believe in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment